San Bernardino shooting initiates protocols

Paris, the Middle East, Oregon, Colorado, and now, San Bernardino are among a few of the many attacks that have taken place so far in 2015.

Two confirmed gunmen with rifles opened fire inside the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino Dec. 2 around 11 a.m., killing 14 and injuring at least 21 others.

Tactical teams surrounded the facility, located at 1365 Waterman Ave., searching the area for the suspects, who escaped in a black GMC Yukon, according to ABC News.

A police pursuit occurred around 3 p.m. on East San Bernardino Avenue where police and the suspect in the vehicle exchanged fire.

With bullet holes in the vehicle, one suspect was found dead outside the vehicle with a rifle near by and a second suspect dead in the car.

Local and federal authorities, including the FBI, Homeland Security and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms responded to the shooting.

David Bowdich, assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles office, said in a press conference they do not know if the mass shooting is a terrorist attack but that it may be a possibility.

Jim Walters, director of the Department of Public Safety, said campus security was monitoring the progress of the events in San Bernardino, had increased patrols around campus and increased monitoring of campus entrances.

CBU has in place an emergency management plan in the event of an incident on campus. For more information about CBU protocols, including lockdown procedures, students can read the CBU Emergency Manual on InsideCBU.

Walters also mentioned the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s plan when dealing with an active shooter.

The plan includes to first evacuate the scene if there is an accessible escape path. If evacuation is not possible, the agency suggests to find a place to hide to be out of the shooter’s view. As a last resort, the agency suggests taking action against the active shooter by acting as aggressively as possible against the shooter and throwing items or improvising weapons.

Nearly a month ago, six sites were attacked in Paris Nov. 13, where 130 people died in the attacks and more than 350 others were injured.

Many of the casualties occurred at the Bataclan concert hall, where Eagles of Death Metal, an American rock band, was playing and around the Stade de France by suicide bombers while France played Germany in soccer.

Jeff Lewis, interim director of the Office of Mobilization, has traveled to 41 countries including Paris and said the attacks in Paris elevated the sinful nature of man.

Lewis said the MOB office is aware of the alerts the U.S. State Department sends and is not concerned about International Service Projects being unsafe.

“You cannot control isolated events like this that are going to happen,” Lewis said. “These things will happen. We will use our best intelligence that we gather from people on the ground and from the alerts we hear so that we have the lowest possibility of something like this to happen.”

About Ashley Dinkel

Editor-in-Chief

Leave a Reply